Early Childhood Coach/Technical Assistance Specialist – Newark Area
Grow NJ Kids Technical Assistance Center- Northeast Region (Essex and Hudson Counties)
JOB SUMMARY: The Early Childhood Coach/TA Specialist is responsible for coaching, mentoring, and providing support to childcare centers participating in the Grow NJ Kids Quality Rating Improvement System (QRIS). This individual will guide childcare centers and family childcare providers serving children from infancy to kindergarten while working to improve the quality of their care in five categories: Safe, Healthy Learning Environments, Curriculum and Learning Environment, Family and Community Engagement, Workforce/Professional development, and Administration and Management.
- Support, mentor and coach childcare center directors, administrators, teachers, center staff and Family Child Care Providers to help them improve quality by meeting the GROW NJ Kids quality rating and improvement system standards. This includes providing on-site, individualized technical assistance for up to 40 providers.
- Support programs through a self-assessment process, quality improvement planning, identification of needed training and resources, and ultimately support the program as they prepare for quality rating.
- Use a variety of assessment tools to support program improvement in various areas including environment (ECERS, ITERS, FCCERS), family engagement (Strengthening Families Self-Assessment), and program administration and business practices (PAS)
- Attend ongoing training to become certified and/or reliable raters in developmental screening tools, Environmental Rating Scales (ECERS, ITERS) and Program Administration Scale (PAS). Use skills and knowledge gained in training to enhance TA services provided.
- Assist in the development and facilitation of webinars, peer learning communities, networking meetings and monthly newsletters.
- Maintain site visit calendars to ensure obligations are efficiently planned, executed and met with quality.
- Collect data and maintain documentation of all activities to guide performance and support outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders in region and statewide to promote & support GROW NJ Kids implementation. This includes facilitating ongoing relationships with, Childcare Resource and Referral Agencies, partner TA Centers, Central Intake, County Councils for Young Children, NJ Workforce Registry, NJ Center for Quality Ratings, Grow NJ Kids programs and other school and community based agencies.
- Represent the program both outside and inside the agency.
- Monitor each program’s/providers activities and progress.
- Submit monthly/quarterly data and progress reports.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated experience & proficiency in the following areas:
- Infant/toddler – understanding of the Birth to Three Early Learning guidelines, knowledge of the Infant Toddler Environment Rating Scale and infant toddler curricula;
- Preschool classroom expertise – understanding of NJ Preschool Teaching and Learning Standards, preschool curricula and Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale;
- Early Childhood Program Management – familiar with best business practices and/or the Program Administration Scale;
- Family Engagement expertise – familiarity with Strengthening Families Protective Factors Framework (self-assessment, improvement planning, protective factors survey), home visiting, and parent representation on community councils.
- An understanding of GROW NJ Kids quality rating and improvement system that includes related content knowledge, planning expertise, process expertise and topical expertise.
- Knowledge and understanding of developmental screenings and working with children with special needs, inclusion practices, intervention strategies for children with challenging behaviors, national health and safety standards, nutrition and special diets, and higher level early childhood curriculum expertise
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to build relationships with persons at all levels.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural diversity and its impact on planning and provision of services.
- Demonstrated expertise in program planning, development and implementation.
- Demonstrated expertise in community organization and collaboration building.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve independently.
- Computer proficiency.
- Highly organized, motivated and flexible.
Education and Work Experience: A Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood (or related field) and 3+ years’ experience with early childcare and education, children and families. Experience providing professional development to other adults is required.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate expertise through certification, endorsement, or practical experience in the following content areas: Learning Environment and Curriculum; Family and Community Engagement; Child Growth and Development: Infant/Toddler Mental Health; Program Organization and Management: Health, Safety and Nutrition; Special Education and/or Inclusion; Family Childcare
Preference will be given to those meeting the criteria of NJ Technical Assistance Specialist within the NJ Workforce Registry Instructor Approval System.
Bi-lingual, English/Spanish candidates preferred.
Travel throughout the state of New Jersey will be necessary; with a focus on Essex and Hudson Counties. Hours will need to be flexible to allow for evening and weekend work, training, site visits or agency related activities.
Sr. TA Specialist- Northeast Region
Please submit resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position, why you are a strong candidate for consideration, and salary history/expectations to [email protected] . Be sure to include “Technical Assistance Specialist – GNJK NE” in the subject line. Deadline to receive application information is July 10, 2018.
Prevent Child Abuse New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer