Period of PURPLE Crying®
Shaken Baby Syndrome/Abusive Head Trauma (SBS/AHT) is a form of child abuse which consists of violent shaking and/or impacting of the head of an infant or small child. A study released in the Journal of Pediatrics states that “babies under the age of one are the most common victims of physical abuse”. Lead researcher, Dr. John Leventhal, stated that physical abuse for babies is a bigger threat than Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), based on the rate the abuse is occurring in the United States.
The goal of the project is to prevent Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) injuries and deaths by implementing a program that ensures parents/caregivers understand the properties of crying that are frustrating, the appropriate responses to take with crying infants and the importance of sharing this information with others. This program teaches prevention strategies for SBS injuries and deaths among infants who are delivered at hospitals across the state. The Period of PURPLE Crying, which was developed by the National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome (NCSBS), has been evaluated and shown to be effective nationally.
This project trains the nurses in Maternity Units and Neonatal Intensive Care Units at hospitals statewide. The outcomes/objectives of the project are:
- Parents will understand that crying is a normal part of infant development.
- Parents will acknowledge when their emotions interfere with their ability to care for their infant safely and know appropriate responses to their frustrations.
- Parents will learn the importance of sharing this information with others.
The acronym PURPLE is used to describe specific characteristics of an infant’s crying during this phase and let parents and caregivers know that what they are experiencing is indeed normal and, although frustrating, is simply a phase in their child’s development that will pass. The word Period is important because it tells parents that it is only temporary and will come to an end!
How we can bring this our hospital, agency or program?
If your hospital, agency or program is interested in implementing the Period of PURPLE Crying, please contact Stephanie Michael.
What is the Click for Babies campaign?
Get ready to click your knitting and crochet needles together to support the prevention of shaken baby syndrome! PCA-NJ will collect purple newborn and preemie caps to support our Period of PURPLE Crying® program from April 1 through October 1. These caps will be given out in November to babies at participating PURPLE hospitals throughout New Jersey to remind everyone that we must keep babies safe! Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Caps should be at least 50% purple in color, although no particular shade of purple yarn is required.
- Please avoid wool or harsh material as babies can be sensitive!
- Consider making a few preemie caps, but when you send them, please send them in a separate bag so we know.
- Find helpful baby hat knit and crochet patterns here.
- Take pictures and download the photo release form to show others you are a part of this effort! E-mail the pictures and completed form to Stephanie Michael. We will post it on our website and FaceBook page!
- Spread the word! Our goal is to have a total of 9,000 caps this year!
- Donate skeins of any shade of purple yarn (soft yarn please).
- Make a financial contribution to support the PURPLE program.
Please mail caps, yarn and contributions to: PCA-NJ, 103 Church Street, Suite 210, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
To purchase a purple onesie:
Click here to gift or purchase one for yourself!